Hamburg State Opera

On 2nd January 1678 Germany's first public opera house was founded which was an act of emancipation in two different ways. On the one hand, the very staging of opera, as an art form, was itself an act of enlightened emancipation.  Major musical compositions were created for use in worship or at least were the product of religious motivation until the 17th century. That's why a certain degree of secularisation was necessary for the acceptance of this new form of art. On the other hand, opera performances were exclusively enjoyed by the nobility and the aristocracy, but with the performance of Johann Theile's Singspiel entitled "Adam and Eve and The Created, Fallen and Redeemed Man" opera stagings were accessible to the public as well. 

The first opera performance in Hamburg took place in an oblong house building, erected by Italian master builder Sartorio, which stands between the Jungfernstieg and the corner of the Gänsemarkt. It owes its existence to the initiative of a handful of art-loving Hamburg citizens. Councillor Gerhard Schott, lawyer Peter Lütjens and organist Johann Adam Reinken not only managed to get the foundation of the public opera house through the city’s senate, they also formed the first Board of Directors to manage the opera house on a private-enterprise basis.


Source: Hamburg State Opera

General Information

Hamburg State Opera
Große Theaterstraße 25
20354 Hamburg

Telefon: +49 (0)40 35 68 0
Telefax: +49 (0)40 35 68 610